Less frills, less waste, more of what matters
At The Pilgrm, we believe in showing integrity to our planet, people, and neighbourhood, whilst honouring a sensitivity towards our build and design.
Rooted in our respect for British craftsmanship, much of our furniture was made here in the UK, with over half of it created using reclaimed materials. We value the skilled and honest work of yesterday, and embody this within our cast iron radiators, 19th century parquet flooring from an old army gym, upcycled timber structures, lamps from an old psychiatric house and our painstakingly restored 200-year-old staircase. These unique features bring so much excitement and history to The Pilgrm because the materials each have their own story
Living plants adorn the walls and windowsills, in every room of the hotel, including bedrooms. This means we have around 150 plants bringing fresh air and a sense of calm to our spaces, without the waste of precious cut-flowers. Too many? We think not. Plants are also said to boost your mood and productivity whilst reducing stress so we say the more the merrier.
Notably, we do not provide air conditioning units in our bedrooms. We believe they create more damage than good, and without a place in our homes we don't feel that it's right to give them a place in The Pilgrm.
Always taking provenance into consideration, we offer seasonal menus which feature British-grown ingredients where possible, and only serve a limited line of pre-mixed cocktails which come in recyclable glass bottles from our friends at Three Sheets. This way, we're supporting local businesses whilst reducing our carbon emissions. We also use paper straws, wooden stirrers and recycled napkins and any waste of these materials are recycled and processed by First Mile. A free mineral water station can also be found in our café for refilling bottles, and each guest is given a BPE-free reusable water bottle on arrival.
One of our most exciting recent projects is our sustainable clothing line with our friends at Universal Works. We have teamed up with the celebrated men’s clothing brand to create a collection of unisex clothing which has been made solely from discarded materials. Each piece is available to buy online with 100% of the profits going to homelessness charity, Centrepoint. You can find out more about the clothing project here.
Whilst we don’t pretend to have it all sorted, we promise to continue to do our best to never be wasteful, and to shed the things that today’s guests have moved beyond. However, if you have any feedback as to how we might further improve, we would love to hear from you so please feel free to get in touch with us via firstname.lastname@example.org.
THE PILGRM PROMISE
- Re-purposed and upcycled furniture
- 80% of materials and furniture is made in the UK
- As little plastic as possible in operational areas
- Biodegradable straws, wooden stirrers and take-away cups and lids
- Natural and cruelty-free toiletries from brands dedicated to waste reduction
- Refillable pumps for shampoo bodywash
- No dressing gowns or slippers, reducing laundry waste
- Living plants - no cut flowers
- No minibars
- Eco-label cleaning products
- Free still and sparkling water station
- Free recycled and refillable water bottles are provided on arrival
- Plastic water bottles are not available in the lounge - we have a mineral refill station for jugs
- Limited line of pre-mixed cocktails from Three Sheets
- Seasonal and local menus and ingredients, only ordering what we need
- Used cooking oil is collected and recycled
- Excess fresh food that doesn't get used in the usual menu goes to staff or into specials
- Over 80% of fresh products are from the UK or close neighbouring countries