Less Frills, Less Waste, More of what Matters.
At The Pilgrm, we believe in showing integrity to our planet, people, and neighbourhood, whilst honouring a sensitivity towards our build and design.
Rooted in our respect for British craftsmanship, much of our furniture was made here in the UK, with over half of it created using reclaimed materials. We value the skilled and honest work of yesterday, and embody this within our cast iron radiators, 19th century parquet flooring, upcycled timber structures, and our painstakingly restored 200-year-old staircase.
Living plants adorn the walls and windowsills, bringing fresh air and a sense of calm to our spaces, without the waste of precious cut-flowers. Notably, we do not provide air conditioning units in our bedrooms. We believe they create more damage than good, and without a place in our homes we don't feel that it's right to give them a place in The Pilgrm. Our utilitarian bathrooms contain only naturally-derived and cruelty-free toiletries, with refillable shampoo body-wash pumps installed in each shower, and soap on a rope rather than in plastic wrapping.
Always taking provenance into consideration, we offer seasonal menus which feature British-grown ingredients where possible, and only serve a limited line of pre-mixed cocktails. This way, we're supporting local businesses whilst reducing our carbon emissions. A free mineral water station can also be found in our café for refilling bottles, and the freshly-stocked pantries which are placed on every floor offer our guests a way to make teas and coffees without all of the usual wrappers and waste.
As a rule, if we can cut down on plastic or uneccessary packaging - we do, and will keep on doing so.
Whilst we don’t pretend to have it all sorted, we promise to continue to do our best to never be wasteful, and to shed the things that today’s guests have moved beyond. However, if you have any feedback as to how we might further improve, we would love to hear from you. Please get in touch with us here.
The Pilgrm Promise
- Re-purposed and upcycled furniture
- 80% of materials and furniture is made in the UK
- As little plastic as possible in operational areas
- Biodegradable straws, take-away cups and lids
- Natural and cruelty-free toiletries from brands dedicated to waste reduction
- No plastic packaging on soap
- No dressing gowns or slippers, reducing laundry waste
- Living plants - no cut flowers
- No minibars
- Eco-label cleaning products
- Free still and sparkling water station
- Free recycled and refillable water bottles are provided on arrival
- Plastic water bottles are not available in the lounge - we have a mineral refill station for jugs
- Minimal packaging tea and coffee pantries on each floor
- Vacuum-packed cocktails to reduce glass waste
- Workshop coffee sourced direct from producers and farmers
- Seasonal and local menus and ingredients
- Used cooking oil is collected and recycled
- Excess fresh food that doesn't get used in the usual menu goes to staff or into specials
- Over 80% of fresh products are from the UK or close neighbouring countries